Tuesday, January 29, 2013

School at St. Francis

Well, I've made it through my first two days of school! I'm teaching at the St. Francis Special School just outside of town. I don't have pictures yet but hopefully I'll have them soon.

 The school its self is pretty small there is 52 students and 10 teachers. There is also about 2 aides in each classroom. The students are divided by age and ability.For example, the classroom I'm teaching in is the junior class of students with severe learning disabilities and my students' ages range from 6-13. Next door is the senior version that has students 14-18.

So, My class. Let me just say that I love my students! There are 5 students in my class, they are each very unique and have fun personalities. there are three girls and two boys. The boys may be outnumbered but they make sure they are noticed! :)  As I go, I'll tell you more about each of them as I learn about them. 

The school day here is very different then we're use to in the U.S. Each day is different so I'm still trying to figure out what the normal routine is. I'll let you know as soon as I know! :) 

The last part I have right now is that my mentor teacher is amazing. She goes above and beyond for her kids,  shes taught herself a lot, so she could help them even more.  She looks at her students strengths, not weaknesses which is the way it should be. 

1 comment:

  1. First I want to say how impressed I am that you have posted so often on here! I'm so excited & happy for you to have such a neat student teaching experience. I'm sure it will be awesome! I look forward to reading your posts & seeing your beautiful Irish pictures. :-) Take Care, Katie!

    ReplyDelete